Tuesday 28 February 2012

Pawn Shop

I purchased season two of Pawn Stars and what an interesting show. I’m looking to buy the first season too. However I don’t know what is real and what is staged.

Rick Harris is the boss and knows his shit. And if he doesn’t then he knows someone who does. The owner is the old man and being old he knows a lot of ancient stuff that I have never heard of, like a typewriter. Corey is the son and manager and his childhood friend Chumlee is the village idiot.

If you never heard of Pawn Stars then it’s a real pawnshop in Vegas. It’s kind of like the antique road show only not for old people. Each episode has people coming in with interesting items and they discuss them and sometimes try them out. For example; a guy might pawn a gold doubloon and Rick or someone else tells them interesting facts about gold doubloons and if he doesn’t know if it’s genuine then he asks an expert.

Chumlee and Corey are funny; they buy the stupidest shit without consulting with anyone. One episode Chumlee buys a hot air balloon and everyone is thinking who the Hell is going to go to a pawnshop looking for a hot air balloon. I get mine at Zellers or the Hot Air Balloon store and plan on traveling around the world one day.

I love when people think they have something that is valuable and Rick breaks it to them that it’s worthless. Or people think anything that is old has to be worth something. I have like a hundred VHS movies that are ancient and worthless. I promise my dad that I won’t buy anymore but I can’t pass on getting the Never Ending Story for 99cents.

Some people have no clue and find out its fake. Some poor guy had some civil war declaration scroll that he bought for a thousand dollars at some sale and Rick breaks it to him that it’s fake. Just like how I bought a teleporting machine that doesn’t function. I should have known better!

Normally Rick is easy going but when people are trying to rip him off he gets pissed. One guy had like five of the same pristine baseball cards of some legendary player. Right away Rick tells them they are fake, the picture is all faded and looks like the guy printed them with his computer. The guy just leaves with his worthless cards still adamant that they are real.

Sometimes the item is worth a lot, like a civil war rifle. They try it out to see if it still fires. He gets an expert to verify it and tell Rick how much the gun is worth. The seller asks for that amount. All the time Rick tells people he needs to make a profit. So they bargain and most times they do get a better deal. I mean you might as well try to bargain, you have nothing to lose.

Many times Rick will buy something and find out its worth way more than he expected. Sometimes he buys something like a sports car that needs repair and ends up getting screwed because the parts are rare and expensive.  And sometime Rick sees something cool that he wants just to be in his pawn shop. Like how I keep my medieval battle axe with real blood stains above my bed.

I should sell them the Fiero. It’s the same exact car the sister drives in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, which is an awesome movie. Charlie Sheen makes a brief appearance. It’s funny that Stics told me I should go to a high stakes poker tournament and put the keys down on the line if I have a good hand.

My poker friend was in Vegas, playing poker of course, and he went to the Pawn Stars shop. He said there was a long lineup to get in because everyone wants to look around. Apparently its not too big. My friend didn’t see any of the guys from the show working that day.

Hardcore Pawn is another show but it lacks all of the charisma and knowledge of Pawn Stars. The owner has won the award of ugliest reality television star ever. He is pretty much bald but is clinging to his last few hairs and has this ugly rat tail. Shave your hair and wear a fucking mask.

For one thing it’s located on 8 Mile Detroit. That’s right, the road 8 Mile from the Eminem movie. I would be scared to death to work there. I guarantee a third of them are addicts selling stuff they stole.

One time this gorilla lady threatens to kill him. And ugly guy just loses it on his staff and body guards. So they go to the gun store to buy guns for protection and ugly guy, who trades for a living, tried to bargain with the gun owner. The owner told them he knew they were going to do that and kicks them out.

Ugly guys says time and time again he gets people who swear that it’s their grand mother’s wedding ring or whatever but they need the cash. He has caught this lady in a lie when she comes in all of the time selling something sentimental. I tried to pawn my plastic wrestling silver medal so I can get my Big Mac fix, but they only want gold medals.

I should work at the Pawn Store downtown because I’m a natural bargainer and I know my electronics. They have no clue what movies or video games are worth. Look, nobody is ever going to buy Snow Dogs the video game. I think they buy all games at the same price and sell them at the same price. Which is stupid.

At the video game store, E.B. Games, they look up how much each game is worth on the computer. I got $20 buck for Mario Kart Double Dash but I got like thirty cents for other Gamecube games. They give you store credit, this way people continue to buy stuff there.

At the pawn store they also have all of these overpriced shitty movies. Again they have to review movies and know what people are going to buy and what are going to be a door stop. Nobody is going to buy the Golden Girls season three for thirty dollars. I just download it; it’s less embarrassing this way.

Some guy put on quite the show; I think he memorized it in front of the mirror. He comes in all excited and enthusiastic and says something like “I got the deal for you! I am hoping to get $15 for this awesome subwoofer. It’s a steal.” And the clerk told him he doesn’t want it at all. They already have like fifty of them just sitting there taking up space.

I am hoping to pawn my Garbage Pale Kids trading cards or my Blue Pokemon game with 126 pokemon, including a level fifty Alakazam, for some beer money, Mc Nuggets and hookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment