Friday 5 August 2011

Thirty Minutes or the Pizza is Free

Working at Little Caesars pizza was the most fun job I ever had. I actually enjoyed myself. Unlike working at RHM or Wal-Mart where I count down the minutes until my shift is over. All you do hang out, answer the phone and deliver pizza. I get a satisfaction of giving hungry people a little taste of heaven.

The staff was fantastic. Even the manager was cool.  For whatever reason everyone knew I smoke pot. I never even said anything, they just assumed. During a slow day I thought it would be fun getting burnt. Well I smoked too much. It took me a half hour to find this place. I was looking for some apartment and didn’t realize the right ones were across the street. And there was a cop car and I was freaking out. Later I almost walked out without the pizza bag.

It was really fun driving around looking for places and listening to the radio. I always bring a map just in case. My second day my buddy told me where to go. Well I got lost and spent twenty minutes trying the find the place. Surprisingly they dude didn’t care. Good thing my manager wasn’t there, because that looks bad for my second day.

The problem was that we didn’t even get minimum wage. We only made money per delivery and any tips. And we had to pay for gas. On the weekends you can make about $75 in four hours, but barely make anything during the day on weekdays. So it wasn’t really worth it because of the gas and wear and tear of the car.

You need to know the shortest routes when you deliver pizza. And often times I go a different way on the way back. Obviously you need to know how to avoid the lights and make right hand turns. Sometimes the addresses get fucked up or you have to go down a one way street. I was pulled over one time by a cop during a busy Friday. I did a rolling stop and he asks did I stop and I say yes. Okay.

Even though we don’t get paid for taking calls, we still had to do it. I mean I'm playing Pokemon and I have to answer the phone while I’m in the middle of catching Snorlax. Sometimes kids pull the whole ordering ten pizzas to someone else’s house. I usually give it the boss if I sound fishy. Ordering anchovies is a big warning sign. And they don’t realize that we have caller ID and that the people who get the pizza don’t have to pay a cent. It is not their fault.

As I said, we depend on tips. At least two dollars is a decent amount, unless they order many pizzas or live far away. I find the poorer people give better tips. Once I had to drive all the way over to the Ciccarellili’s place to get two dollars. My biggest tip was like $26. I was like are you sure? He wasn’t even drunk. I mean I know people who are drunk give hood tips. And I hated getting a handful of change or the credit card thingy for a $10 pizza.

I tell this story often. I go across town and deliver pizza to this little girl. And I assume she’s giving me a one dollar tip because she didn’t ask for change. Well the parents call three hours later and want the dollar back. And I’m like what? So I had to drive all the way over again to give this cheap ass bitch a loonie. I was like here! Now when I look back it was pretty funny.

There was this one rat I later find out that he was taking all of the easy deliveries for himself while I had to drive all over town. We usually close at two right when all of those stoners get the munchies. But my manager is like screw it, we are closing I want to go home.

Then we get a new owner and ruined our morale. We had to wear these cheap hats that I would take off anyway. This was when they started the new Hot n Ready pizza. This definitely wasn’t good for the drivers. So I delivered a pizza to the this guy and it was too cold. My mistake, but she was pissed. Good thing I quit a week later because I got a job at Wal-Mart again.

I do however miss getting pizzas half off. I would make mine with triple cheese and extra pepperoni. Wow you never realize how good you had it until it’s gone. And why do they still have these kids carrying signs. I think everyone knows about the Hot N Ready by now. And I found it funny that sometimes you have to wait or it’s cold. Not very Hot N Ready at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment