Thursday 16 June 2011

Cheat Codes

I hate cheat codes for video games; it takes away from the challenge and fun. The only way I would use a code is if the game is humanly impossible like the Contra. Video game trivia; what is the password you use to unlock 30 lives at the beginning. It’s up up down down left right left right B A start. The other way I use codes is if it unlocks a cool feature.

Imagine someone leaked cheat codes for World of Warcraft. It would destroy the game completely. The majority of people would use the codes to get to level 70. They’d mess around it but eventually get bored a couple of hours later. And those people who don’t cheat would get frustrated by getting killed by all of the invincible players. If people found a way to get free gold there be no point in killing monsters, they’d buy the most expensive weapon and armor.

Now people make fun of me because I spend most of my days in my dark room only to leave the house for some Big Macs. But it makes me happy. I watch movies and television at the same time. But the whole experience of leveling up is fun because you get stronger and better items. If there were cheats than there would be no point of playing.

Another example is Golden Eye for the Nintendo 64, my all time favorite first person shooter. It was my life for six months. I know they had game shark codes that give you invincibility. Where would the fun be there? You’d walk around shooting people without taking cover like you’re fucking Scar Face on coke It might as well turn the game on and it says you win.

No comments:

Post a Comment