Friday 24 June 2011

Destiny

I took philosophy 101 at Western University and fell in love with it. Sure it’s absolutely useless degree to pursue but it’s where I shine. I actually wrote an essay about the Matrix for an assignment about appearance versus reality. My TA loved it because it was funny and stood out. You see TA’s always see the same regurgitated essays and arguments like how do we know what yellow is? Too bad my computer crashed and I lost all of my essays.

Do you think we have free will or is it just an illusion? I don’t for several reasons. But I’ll narrow it down to three main arguments and try my best to make them funny or interesting.

First here is a silly analogy about World of Warcraft. How much are you the person the result of genetics? In Wow we have all of these choices, which make the game so interesting.  Right off the bat we choose which race we want and what characteristics. I chose a night elf hunter named Gorak with plus fifty stamina and twenty arcane resistances. And I caught a pet boar which I named Pumba. Nothing is carved in stone and you choose and change your abilities any time

But this is the real world called Life. You’re born without consent to parents you never chose and your basic personality and physical makeup is predecided. It’s like saying I have to buy Wow from Future Shop and I have to be a gnome farmer the rest of the game. Sure I could workout but I’m never going to be Chuck Norris no matter how hard I try. And I’m pretty sure most homosexuals or transgender people didn’t choose their sexual orientation, which is a huge thing in life. I never chose to like boobs, I just do.

I believe the mind is a product of our brain because I don’t think we could function without it. Our mind is the maker of choices. But if you know anything about psychology you know your thoughts are the interaction of millions of nerve cells. The thing is that we don’t really choose what we are thinking. It’s like trying to think who the kid from Who’s the Boss is but can’t think of it. Have you ever blacked out and don’t remember saying or doing anything?  Dude I can’t believe I had sex with a pig. And if you smoke weed you know instantly that your perception of the world is changed. You can’t get that perception on your own.

This is my main argument using evolution. Do animals have free will? How about a dog or an ant or single cell bacteria? My point is where along the evolutionary chain does an animal get free will? Because we didn’t just go straight from an ape to a human. It was gradual. Its like saying a retarded person doesn’t have free will. And you can’t have a little free will can you? Do you like this blog, it’s up to you.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear your own thoughts about free will and determinism.

    ReplyDelete